ENHANCE & ACCELERATE!
Your Elementary School Math Program
MOVE IT Math is a professional development program for elementary school teachers of mathematics. It consists of three 12-hour workshops: , , and Advanced Topics. Instruction is hands-on, teacher/kid friendly, and focused on UNDERSTANDING. Lessons used with teachers may be used with students with very little modification.
The first workshop—All Kids Can Learn Arithmetic—is a prerequisite for the other workshops and is fully developed on this website for parents and teachers to learn and implement on their own. Doing so yields …
Exemplary Test Scores, Better Grades, Positive Attitudes
All Kids Can Learn Arithmetic significantly empowers elementary school teachers to upgrade ANY kindergarten through grade 6 math program to …
• Elevate scores on high-stakes standardized exams.
• Enable low-achievers to meet grade level expectations.
• Lessen the number of students needing special assistance in math.
• Improve attitudes toward math.
• Enrich and accelerate the mathematical growth of .
All Kids Can Learn Arithmetic meets children on their terms — success — and is energized by the children themselves, resulting in amazing achievements, even in kindergarten:
• Genuine understanding of base ten numeration.
• Adept with hands-on fractions.
• Kindergartners adding and subtracting fractions with fraction circles and solving algebraic equations on a math balance.
• First graders adding and subtracting with answers in the millions.
• Second graders multiplying and dividing huge numbers with single-digit multipliers and divisors, respectively.
All Kids Can Learn Arithmetic centers on children’s strengths (like thinking) instead of weaknesses (like forgetting) and thereby fits the curriculum to them instead of the reverse. It seeks a balance between knowledge (like knowing the number facts), skills (like knowing how to compute), concepts (like understanding base ten numeration), and problem solving (like knowing how to figure out a number fact if forgotten). It fuels true problem solving by focusing instruction on a few essentials that enable children to understand and figure out huge amounts of mathematics.
All Kids Can Learn Arithmetic is holistic and developmentally rich, super charging the arbitrary and fragmented nature of every textbook-based elementary school math program (like little numbers for little kids in grades 1-3, withholding multiplication and division until the end of grade 3, and no algebra until kids are “big enough to stand pain”) and avoiding the deprivation that occurs when children “don’t get it” and are made to repeat the same topics year after year. Important goals are self-confidence and self-esteem.
Cost of instruction for each 12-hour workshop:
• Texas: $2,400 plus expenses: travel, lodging and per diem.
• Nationwide: $3,200 plus expenses: travel, lodging and per diem.
Instruction limited to 30 participants. Laptops and Internet access preferred.
Contact MOVE IT Math at email@example.com.